This
reaction paper has been a challenging one for me. I have spent countless hours
contemplating just what to write about for this essay. Everything about the
Literary London trip I found whimsically fabulous. Even some of the events that
were not on the top of my list I still enjoyed and found very enlightening.
After settling back into the states for some time now, I realized the one thing
that really hit hard about the trip was getting the privilege to see and visit
so many famous author’s homes.
My
favorite would probably have to be John Keats’ home. I just loved the village
of Hampstead. His house was located off a quiet and private street, yet still
so close to city life.
When arriving in the backyard of Wentworth Place I
immediately felt such peace and tranquility. It felt as though I was miles away
from busy London city life. I remember how we all just collapsed onto the fresh
green grass in the back upon arrival, wanting to be one with that serenity the
area possessed. I remember thinking to myself, along with voicing this to
others, “Man, I could probably pump out some awesome poetry if I lived here
too!” I’m not sure if it was the lingering essence of Keats himself, or just
the fresh soothing area of Hampstead, but inspiration and good vibes were in
the air!
Another
thing I found fascinating about Wentworth Place was all the history that
occupied the home. Besides Keats himself, I thought it was interesting that
members of the Brown, Chester, and Brawne families all resided there at one
point or another.
At Keats’ home I bought a small book of poetry that
he wrote strictly just during his last years alive at Wentworth Place. Reading
the book here, all the way back in America, it is super cool to be able to
picture exactly where Mr. Keats composed those serene poetic thoughts.
Jane
Austen’s house in Chawton came in as a close second. It was great to see the
countryside of London and get an idea of the kind of life Austen lived compared
to those in the city.
Although
somewhat large in size, Austen’s home was quaint and simple, but filled with
such a gorgeous lush view and access to the yard and gardens. Getting to see
the very table she wrote Pride and
Prejudice on was literally a dream come true.
Thomas
Carlyle’s home comes in third. I absolutely loved his home. Everything about it
was rich and gorgeous, I also remember we had such a wonderfully sweet tour
guide that day and I loved learning about his life and the home. Unfortunately,
I had not been exposed to much of Carlyle’s writing before this trip. In just
the brief time of this introduction I have grown to really like and appreciate
what he has to say. I remember one particular quote that was typed out on paper
in the final floor of his building. I took a picture of it and it states as
follows:
“A man lives by believing something; not be debating
and arguing about many things.” I try hard to live by this concept. I’ve always
felt most human beliefs are personal, especially those pertaining to religion
or politics, therefore what really matters is that you have faith in your own
beliefs, rather than trying to convince or debate others on the way they are
living their lives.
Charles
Dickens house was also very fun to see. As discussed on the trip, it was a bit
disappointing not being able to see the whole museum and get the full
experience, especially since Oliver Twist
was the focus of our class. But needless to say, it was a beautiful home full
of exciting literary history, and I’m so thankful to have seen it.
I
also thoroughly enjoyed the Bloomsbury Walk. I would have loved to be able to
have gone in some of the actual homes if they had still been viewable to the
public, especially of Virginia Woolf’s and T.S. Eliot’s, but it was still neat
to at least get a glimpse of the outside and grasp a feel of the area they
resided in.
As
an writer and a published poet of a few minor poems, it was so neat getting to
visit so many of my favorite writers homes. I felt like an aspiring musician
getting tours of famous rock star quarters! It was so great getting to be in
that energy and presence, and actually see where such promising literature
history was made.
I
would also like to add I thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Highgate Cemetery. In
LondonI was a bit confused on how it fit into the trip, I also wish I would have known more of the
authors buried there. Now back at home I see the correlation of seeing the living homes of
many famous British authors, and also appreciate seeing where some of them rest now.
No comments:
Post a Comment