“Fictional
Non-Fiction”
Yes, I write, what I like to call “fictional non-fiction.”
I’m sure it’s not politically correct. But then again, who is these days, am I
right? ;)
Fictional non-fiction….But…..but what does that MEAN?
Many people are confused by my “oh so clever” claim to write
“fictional non-fiction”. I absolutely highly respect and admire fictional
writers…especially sci-fi, fantasy…etc. Anyone who can write about hobbits,
wizards, kingdoms, vampires, and werewolves and get people on board, totally have
my vote. It has just never been my personal forte. Yet, interestingly enough, I
wrote what I strongly considered “strict fiction” up until my junior year of
college. That year I took a creative non-fiction writing class for the very
first time. Before that semester, I assumed all non-fiction was strictly
autobiographies, biographies, and memoirs.. aka “boring stuff”. Don’t get me wrong, I had totally read
biographies on The Beatles, Kurt Cobain’s life story “Heavier Than Heaven” and
yes, even things like “The Heart and Soul of Nick Carter” (written by his
mother btw) & loved them all. Anywhoooo, I was familiar with non-fiction,
but at the time, didn’t realize exactly how creative one could get with it. That
first non-fiction class I took in San Antonio was extremely eye opening for me.
Ever since then, I began to write non-fiction, yet portray it, as if it was actually
100% fictionalized. Does that make any sense?
One can say I’ve been rather, “fortunate” to know the people
I have in this life. I’ve been surrounded by real life characters for as long
as I can remember. Needless to say, I finally realized one day, I don’t need to
write fiction, I’ve got all the
characters and drama I need, right here in front of me. So that was how my
“fictional non-fiction” mindset began. Now I take it to much more extremes,
meaning, the Life As We Note It
series, is not simply non-fiction just with a few names and places changed. My
series, Life As We Note It is fiction, but many truths of my own
adolescent life definitely make there mark in the series.
One message I do want to send to young writers, and even
young readers is, non-fiction can be soooo much fun! All my life I’ve always heard
“write what you know”. So if you have a fascinating imagination about fantasy
universes, or fictional creatures, that is totally awesome, please go with
that, but also, please, keep in mind, even if you don’t, you, yes you, can totally still write
fiction! I know, right? “Write what you know” is some of the best advice I’ve
ever been given. If you’re a cheerleader, write about that. If you grew up with
some weird unrealistic phobia as a kid, write about that. If you wish you had
been adopted, write about THAT. Whatever you are feeling and thinking, believe
me, somewhere out there someone is actually feeling and thinking the exact same
thing. Someone out there will relate to your
story, whatever it may be. Therefore, it just makes sense to write what you
know. And write it well. Don’t hold back. You owe it to yourself.
So, long story short (HAH), I tend to write about things
I (or people around me) have experienced in one form or another. And I do
take certain personality traits of people I’ve met once or twice throughout my
life, and put them in the characters I create. As Bob Nelson once said (one of my favorite authors) “Truth is sometimes best told through fiction”.
Therefore, I proudly write, “Fictional non-fiction”.

No comments:
Post a Comment